The area that is now Montreal is where we first find our Turpin and related ancestors. See http://familyimages.smugmug.com/Connect-with-the-past/sheppard-coursolle-ancestors/Turpin-Family-Drouin/5222490_KfERd#1140161555_iRfC3 A mission named Ville Marie was built in 1642 as part of a project to create a French colonial empire. In 1676, the catholic parish Saints-Anges-Gardiens (Lachine) was established. In 1701, the Great Peace of Montreal was signed. In 1703, the catholic parish Sainte-Anne-De-Bellevue was established. In 1705, Montreal became the official name for the city formerly named Ville-Marie. Ville Marie/Montreal became a centre for the fur trade and French expansion into New France until 1760, when it was surrendered to the British army, following the defeat of the Battle of the Plains of Abraham. British immigration expanded the city and the city's golden era of fur trading began with the advent of the locally-owned North West Company. Montreal was incorporated as a city in 1802. Sainte-Anne-de-Bellevue is the second oldest community in Montreal's West Island, having been founded as a parish in 1703. Dorval is the oldest, and was founded in 1667. In Deux Montagnes County, in 1721, the parish of Annonciation was established in Oka, and in 1799, the parish of St. Benoit was established in St. Benoit. 1744: Note the location of Fort Ste. Genevieve across the river from Ile Bizard. - FamilyImages